Ways of Coping Questionnaire
Here in this post, we are sharing the “Ways of Coping Questionnaire”. You can read psychometric and Author information. We have thousands of Scales and questionnaires in our collection (See Scales and Questionnaires). You can demand us any scale and questionnaires related to psychology through our community, and we will provide you with a short time. Keep visiting Psychology Roots.
About Ways of Coping Questionnaire
The Ways of Coping Questionnaire (WCQ) measures how people cope with the stresses of everyday life (Folkman & Lazarus, 1988). The response is to a 4 point Likert scale. Raw scores were computed for each scale. Raw scores are the sum of the subject’s response to the items that comprise a given scale (Folkman and Lazarus, 1988). WCQ consists of 66 items in a four-point Likert format. The responses range from 0 to 3 with zero = does not apply or not used, 1 = used somewhat, 2 = used quite a bit, and 3 = used a great deal. Scores indicate a profile of methods used to cope with occupational stress based on the following eight subscales:
1. Confrontation which explains aggressive efforts to alter the situation and suggests some degree of hostility and risk-taking
2. Distancing which describes cognitive efforts to detach oneself and to minimize the significance of the situation
3. Self-controlling which depicts endeavours by individuals to regulate one’s feelings and actions
4. Seeking social support which describes efforts to seek informational, tangible, and emotional support
5. Accepting responsibility (or blame) which acknowledges one’s own role in the problem with a concomitant theme of trying to put things right
6. Escape-avoidance which describes wishful thinking and behavioral efforts to escape or avoid the problem
7. Planful problem solving which portrays deliberate problem-focused efforts to alter the situation, coupled with an analytical approach to solving the problem
8. Positive reappraisal that describes attempts to create positive meaning by focusing on personal growth. Reliability alpha coefficients for the eight scales range from .61 to .79. Correlation between successive pair of scores on each scale range from very low (.17) to low (.47).